Before your arrival
In accordance with the Insurance Act No. 277/2009 Coll. and Act No. 326/1999 Coll. (The Act on the Residence of Foreign Nationals in the Czech Republic), it is necessary to have a valid health insurance policy in order to obtain a visa for foreigners coming to the Czech Republic.
Valid health insurance is a necessary condition for all foreigners coming to the Czech Republic for tourism, work, or studies, either short-term or long-term. The law requires all foreigners to have a so-called commercial health insurance policy for foreigners. Apart from meeting one of the conditions for being granted a visa, health insurance for foreigners provides necessary financial coverage of medical care provided (including regular medical check-ups in some cases) in the event of an injury.
- Essential and urgent medical care insurance – covers only the cases where the injury may lead to physical harm and therefore requires urgent and immediate care. This means that such insurance will cover the provision of medical care in the event on an injury but will not cover any subsequent medical examinations or checks related to postoperative or post-injury examinations. This type of insurance is among the cheaper healthcare insurance policy options for foreigners and is typically preferred in the case of short-term stays of up to 90 days.
- Insurance of comprehensive healthcare for foreigners – insurance policy concluded for periods exceeding 90 days. This kind of policy covers both urgent care (acute cases) and regular preventive check-ups. Such insurance will cover the provision of medical care in the event of an injury as well as any subsequent post-injury examinations or checks. Each type of insurance of comprehensive healthcare for foreigners has different limits of indemnity.
Categories of citizens who are excused from the requirement to submit a proof of travel medical insurance, as relates from international agreements:
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Republic of Tunisia
- United States of America
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship Programme
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) Holders
- The Fulbright Scholarship Programme
- “Youth in Action” European Commission Former Programme
For more detailed information please visit website of Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.
After your arrival
If you have essential and urgent medical care insurance and stay more than 90 days, comprehensive healthcare needs to be arranged for the period exceeding 90 days.
Do not hesitate to contact our insurance experts at the phone number: +420 605 203 111